Truncation Resistance #2 criterion (was Re: First Choices tiebre

Hugh Tobin htobin at redstone.net
Wed Jan 22 21:20:56 PST 1997

Steve's proposed consensus censorship raises the questions: (1) Why is
truncation resistance more important that resistance to order-reversal?
(I note that Mike defined both as "drastic" when used as defensive
strategy; in either case the strategic voter risks giving victory to his
least favorite, as Steve has explained). (2) Why it it critical to
prevent a putatively organized and devious group of plurality voters
from achieving through truncation what they could also achieve by
insincerely dividing their second choices -- or what half of them could
achieve by reversal, if one assumes the true second choice of all of
them is the middle candidate?

I submit that a system which reaches a different result from Steve's
second example if the "A" voters are divided into 23AB and 23AC creates
a clear incentive to insincere voting.

Given that incentives to strategic voting exist in all systems, it seems
the burden is on Steve to show why the incentive that exists if A wins
in example 2 is presumptively worse than those that may exist in a
universe of unspecified systems.

-- Hugh Tobin