The Greater Majority Method

New Democracy donald at mich.com
Thu Jan 16 04:58:36 PST 1997

Dear Election Methods List,

I have come up with another single seat election method. The math is as
follows: Each voter makes a series of preferences. The first two
preferences of all the voters are added together. The low candidate is
dropped. Again we add the first two preferences and again we drop the low
candidate. We continue this routine until we have one candidate left -
which is the winner.

This math is a combination of Approval Voting and the run-off feature of
Preference Voting. Instead of dropping the low candidte of the first set of
preferences, this method drops the low candidate of the combined first two
sets of preferences. I was trying to think of another way to determine
which candidate to drop - this is another way. This method considers the
strength a candidate may have in the next set of preferences.

When we do consider other preferences we must face the possibility of a
candidate having a greater majority in two preferences than the majority
another candidate may have in the first set of preferences. In other words
- this method will not always elect the candidate that may have received a
majority on the tally of the first preferences.

Any person that decides other preferences are to be considered must accept
the fact that the majority candidate of the first set of preferences may
lose - a person cannot have it both ways.

As of now I have not decided if I accept this.

Donald Eric Davison of New Democracy at http://www.mich.com/~donald