Two comments by Ordeshook

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Jan 14 12:54:52 PST 1997

I dropped in on Professor Ordeshook today, and we talked for a couple
of hours.  Two comments I'll report here:

1. Though Ordeshook wrote in 1986 that pairwise methods are too
compute-intensive to be practical for large elections, he no longer
believes that to be the case.  (That's the question I went there to
ask him.)

2. With many candidates there will probably not be a beats-all
winner.  (I didn't ask for his assumptions.)

I plan to talk with Prof. Morgan Kousser too.  I think I'll have a
more interesting time with Kousser, who has testified as an expert
witness in reapportionment cases.  I specifically want to ask him
about two seemingly glaring logical errors made by the Supreme Court
in the Reynolds v Sims (1964) decision.