Splitting votes in Coombs? (was Re: Coombs' Method)

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Jan 2 09:44:15 PST 1997

Donald D wrote:
-snip-
>My reason for splitting the votes is pure mathematical. I want the
>total number of points against all candidates to be the same as the
>number of voters in the election.
-snip-

I'm not as interested in what you want as in why you want it.  You've
omitted the important info.  Personally, I don't see getting the
totals to match the voters as a criterion relevant to democracy;
it looks more like it's just something you and some others may find
aesthetically pleasing on the surface.

Same thing regarding why you want methods to drop candidates.
Why do you think it's a good idea?  (If you reply to this question,
which is a different topic, please do so separately with an
appropriate Subject line like "Why drop candidates?")