Request: please post sample format of ranked ballot

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Feb 8 19:31:20 PST 1997

This is a request for someone to post an example ballot used in STV
or MPV elections.  (Cambridge MA, Australia, and Ireland use ranked
ballot methods, so one of them will be suitable.)  I'm curious to
see what format has been chosen, as this has implications regarding
the technology used in the voting booth and afterward to tally the
ballots.  (Ideally, voting booths would contain computers to get
beyond the limitations of older technologies.)

The San Francisco STV proposal (prop H) would have limited each
voter's ranking to 4 candidates.  Does Cambridge, Australia, or
Ireland use a format without such a drastic limitation?

The Pasadena League of Women Voters will probably conduct a mock
ranked ballot election at its March meeting, and, all else being
equal, I'd prefer they use a ballot format already used in real
public elections.