Local Township Elections

David Marsay djmarsay at dra.hmg.gb
Wed Dec 3 02:32:38 PST 1997

A small point, but ballots can only be used to determine a majority
preference if one knows what the relationship is between the ballots
and the 'actual' individual preferences. In particular, a method that
rewards tactical voting encourages misleading ballots and hence makes
it impossible to determine the majority preference, by any method.

A method ought not reward tactical voting. Hence my regard for
Condorcet.