Explaining Condorcet (was Re: Condorcet sub-cycle rule)

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Dec 2 10:27:59 PST 1997

David Marsay <djmarsay at dra.hmg.gb> wrote:
-snip-
> I have my own ideas on supporting the method (some described
> in earlier postings) and am building a collection. The fact that
> Dodgson and Kemeney independently came up with the same or very
> similar methods lends some credence to Condorcet's claim of
> naturality, but none of them was able to convince their peers.

One might point out that the widely-accepted Robert's Rules of
Order uses, as its basic majority rule procedure, a method which
rigorously satisfies both the Condorcet criterion and the Smith
criterion.  Which suggests that it shouldn't really be that hard
to convince folks of the merits of Smith//Condorcet.