A Second Test of a Single Seat Election Method

New Democracy donald at mich.com
Wed Apr 16 03:11:57 PDT 1997

Dear list members,

     When I wrote the post titled: Does the Method confirm the Majority
Winner? I forgot about a second test of a single seat method. That test
being:

     Will the method always elect with a majority?

     Only two methods pass this test: Instant Consensus and Coombs.

     Approval Voting, Borda, and Condorcet do not always elect a winner by
a majority.

                       Always confirms     Always elects
                       majority Winner     with majority
     Approval Voting         NO                  NO
     Borda                   NO                  NO
     Coombs                  NO                 YES
     Cordorcet              YES                  NO
     Instant Consensus      YES                 YES

     These are two test that I feel should be used to test a method. Does
anyone have a third?

Don,

Donald Eric Davison of New Democracy at http://www.mich.com/~donald