Tie-breakers

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Oct 27 12:41:19 PST 1996

Bruce A wrote:
>Before I make a recommendation on tie-breakers, I want to repeat
>(and update) relevant aspects of my notation.
-snip-

Bruce, would you care to suggest the definition(s) appropriate to
the Electoral College reform issue, so that we could discuss "voting
methods" of the form EC//M (where M is some single-winner method).

The simplest useful EC function would select all the candidates
mathematically capable of winning a majority of the electoral
college.  (A candidate is "mathematically capable" if the delegates
s/he won in the other states added to all the delegates yet to be
determined by the states using EC//M would be a majority of the
college.)

(We've also discussed some more complex EC functions, but I'm now
attracted to this simple one.)

EC is a function which takes as input not only the candidates and
ballots in the state(s) where it's being used, but also the electoral
college results in the other states.  Does this additional input mean
that new terms are desirable in your notation definitions document?