Electoral College Reform starting etc.

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Oct 24 18:14:51 PDT 1996

Demorep1 wrote:
>Since the Votes for President divided by number of electoral votes
>ratio is unequal in all States and D.C. any attempt to save the
>Electoral College is an attempt to save an anti-democratic and
>obsolete election system.

We're not trying to save the electoral college.  The point to
remember is that getting rid of it is hard--it would require a
Constitutional amendment.

What we've come up with is a way to fix everything wrong with it,
without amending the Constitution.  Once a critical mass of states
have individually reformed themselves and included the clause which
lets them combine their ranked ballots together to award all their
delegates to the same candidate, the other states will feel compelled
to join up or have their votes rendered moot.

When all states have joined up, it won't matter that the delegates
per state aren't proportional, since *all* delegates will go to the
national popular winner.

Then the electoral college will be obsolete, but not anti-democratic.