Lowest Number of First Choice votes tie breaker, Ver.2

donald at mich.com donald at mich.com
Sat Oct 19 02:58:29 PDT 1996

Mike wrote:

>I've answered Demorep's objections's to Condorcet's method dozens of times.
>Now that there are more members on EM, who weren't there when I answered
>these same objections on previous occasions, I guess that means it's
>necessary to yet again answer these recycled objections.

Don: Good - maybe I'll understand this time around.

>First, though, since in Demorep's letter to which I'm replying,
>Demorep's example is central to what he's saying, let me first say:
>
>Demorep, you've been repeatedly asked to express your examples in
>a form that makes sense to others on the list. How about something
>simple, like (to quote an example that I've used):
>
>40: A,B,C
>25: B,A,C
>35: C,B,A
>
>The numbers before the colon indicate numbers of voters voting
>the ranking that follows the colon. The rankings list, horizontally]
>in a line, the candidates in order of preference in the ranking.
>
>It isn't reasonable to ask people to decyher the cryptic way you write
>your examples. When you write it in plaintext, then I'd be glad to
>reply.
>Mike
Dear Mike,

Very Good - better examples as a policy is good - but Mike, I would like to
suggest that we ask the Technocrats to go the whole mile. I would like to
see complete examples.

To all Technocrats,

Being as there are fifteen combinations with three candidates, I want to
see fifteen rankings. As example:

              A               B               C
              AB              BA              CA
              AC              BC              CB
              ABC             BAC             CAB
              ACB             BCA             CBA
Now this is real - it is not real to say that the forty percent of the
voters that voted for A as their first selection would ALL vote for B as
their second selection and ALL vote for C as their third selection.
When some numbers are added:

                                 10 A             7 B             9 C
                                  9 AB            6 BA            8 CA
                                  8 AC            5 BC            7 CB
                                  7 ABC           4 BAC           6 CAB
                                  6 ACB           3 BCA           5 CBA
                               --------         -------         -------
First tally of the candidates:   40              25              35

We now have fifteen Vote Sums - each with its own label(ranking). Of course
you are free to put in your own numbers. But an example of your
single-winner method using all possible combinations is an example that is
more believable.

Examples are a good way to understand something but most examples that I
have tried to study are unbelievable - more so when the example uses a
current election - the writer's love of a certain candidate is mixed in
with the presentation.

Donald
http://www.mich.com/~donald