Tobin-Condorcet bad example? (was Re: Election Methods Poll (fin

Hugh R. Tobin htobin at ccom.net
Thu Oct 3 20:48:07 PDT 1996

Steve Eppley wrote:

> Hugh T wrote:
> > "In each pairwise contest between X and Y, count as 1/2 vote for X
> > and 1/2 vote for Y an equal ranking of X with Y by a voter, if that
> > voter ranked all other members of the Smith set ahead of X and Y.
> > Otherwise count the ranking as 0 votes for each."

>> *******
> By the way, Hugh, would you prefer that I change the report so the
> name of the method is Tobin-Condorcet?  I will if you don't object.
>
> ---Steve     (Steve Eppley    seppley at alumni.caltech.edu)

Steve, I think your "bad example" merits (even more) serious discussion,
as its implications extend well beyond the question of half-votes.  For
now I can only respond to the last point: I think it should be called
Smith//Condorcet (Tobin) or Smith//Condorcet (1/2), or something
similar, in order to make clear this is a minor adjustment I propose,
nothing anywhere near as signficant as Smith.

-- Hugh