Reply to Steve's Multiparty Movement

donald at mich.com donald at mich.com
Tue Oct 29 12:03:20 PST 1996

Steve wrote on Sun 27 Oct 1996

Steve: > I think they need to generalize their (CV&D) focus from the
>"prop rep movement" to the "multiparty movement".
>
>---Steve     (Steve Eppley    seppley at alumni.caltech.edu)

Donald: I think everyone needs to generalize their focus from the term
proportational representation to somethng else.

The term is carrying baggage. First because of coalition governments in
other countries and then the perception in this country that it has
something to do with that EVIL thing known as Gerrymandeering.

I've been using Total Voter Representation - meaning that I focus on
increasing representation but "Multiparty Movement" has merit. It is a term
that includes the need of both multi seat and single seat reforms.