Don: Our 15-alternative vote

Mike Ossipoff dfb at bbs.cruzio.com
Mon Oct 21 17:48:04 PDT 1996

You suggested keeping a count, for each possible ranking, of how
many people have voted that ranking. I mentioned that in our
8-candidate Presidential ballot here, that would mean keeping
109,552 vote totals.

But in EM's vote on sw methods, there were 15 alternatives.
That means there were 3.5546 trillion possible rankings of
various lengths. So, if you followed the procedure that you
propsed, then, with only 7 voters, you'd have 3.5546 trillion
totals, though of course most of them would be 0.

You could reduce that number, by agreeing that a 15-alternative
ranking is, for all practical purposes, the same as a
14-alternative ranking, but you'd still have 2.2469 trillion
possible rankings.

Mike

p.s. And if I wrote an example for a 15-alternative vote,
would you say that I should include all 3.5546 trillion
possible rankings in my example?