Addition to earlier post

donald at mich.com donald at mich.com
Sun Oct 13 08:42:20 PDT 1996

Greetings,

I wish to make an addition to my earlier post today dealing with Electorial
College reform.

I wish to increase the number of candidates in the runoff of top candidates.

The change is as follows:
The candidates in the runoff will be the top two plus any other candidates
that can win the national election if they gain all the electoral votes of
the reformed states.

I feel this addition is an imporvement when we consider that as the number
of reformed states increase the number of possible winning national
candidates also increases. For example: When the reformed states' electoral
votes hit 135 it is possible to have three candidates also with 135 votes
each in the UNreformed states. Some other possibilities are below:

Reform State Votes          Possible number of candidates
                       One   Two   Three   Four  Five  Six  Seven  Eight  etc
       135             135   135    135
       180              90    90     90     90
       203              67    68     67     68    67
       216              54    54     54     54    54    54
       225              45    45     45     45    45    45    45
       232              38    39     38     39    38    39    38    38
       etc             etc
       etc             etc (now you are being technical)

With three or more candidates in the runoff I'm thinking that you pairwise
people will want to use one of your single-winner pairwise methods - I see
no reason not to. (now you really are being nice to these technical guys)

As I see it - when we have three or more candidates in the runoff the thing
to do to reassign all the votes of the dropped candidates and then work the
three or more remaining candidates with some single-winner method.

This addition of this increase in candidates will allow you to introduce
your single winner methods at an earlier point in time.

Donald