Nonpartisan offices?

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 18 15:49:51 PST 1996

>Mr. Eppley wrote:
>>How can a law requiring nonpartisanship have any teeth?  If the
>>office-holder will have any significant policy-making power, I think
>>the reality is that it can't be kept nonpartisan.

Demorep1:
>The obvious remedy is not to have executive officers have any
>policy-making power whatsoever.

That sounds right to me too, but it might need constitutional
amendments or charter amendments to enact.  I don't know for sure,
but it might also make the sw reform more controversial.

So we may want to apply the KIS principle and separate out the
structural amendments from the voting method fix.