Minority Rule U.S. President 1996, V.1

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Nov 12 13:43:39 PST 1996

DEMOREP1 wrote:
-snip-
>MRP= Minority Rule Percent for 270 of 538 Electoral votes
>The 1992 MRP was 22.56. Change-up 2.22 percent.

I don't understand the point of MRP.  So what if Clinton could
theoretically have been elected with only 270 electoral votes
won by small plurality in about half the states, getting zero
votes in the other states?

The fact is that he received far more popular and electoral votes
than this theoretical threshold, so this is not an "historical
example" of a problem.  Therefore it's misleading, and might be used
to undermine your credibility (analogous to Chicken Little and the
falling sky).