Condorcet is not infallible

Lucien Saumur aa447 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sat May 25 17:53:10 PDT 1996

          I detect some impatience and even some anger in
this mailing list.

          I do not consider Condorcet as an infallible
prophet. Condorcet has written many things about elections
and about other things with which it is permissible to
disagree. Condorcet has written that candidates should not
campaign so as not to influence the voters. Would we agree
with that today?

          I agree that preference voting and pairwise
comparison is the basis of the best electoral system, most
of the time. I do not think that Condorcet has said the
last word on every aspect of this system and I think that
we should try to find ways how this system may best be
applied in our modern world.

          I am prepared to discuss electoral systems calmly
with interested parties and I hope that I can disagree with
others without being labelled a heretic.