Reporting to ER, contd.

Mike Ossipoff dfb at bbs.cruzio.com
Sat May 25 14:01:07 PDT 1996

My previous letter got interrupted by line noise.

I was saying we don't need an official method, but could just report
to ER the rankings of proposed sw methods; the results that various
count rules give, based on those rankings; why the methods picked
what they did; a description of the rankings, in terms of various
standards. These interpretations could be sent by anyone who wanted
to, of course. The main thing needed from members is rankings
of 1 or more of the proposed sw methods, according to their merit
& suitability for public proposals.

Additionally, if others agree, we could hold a 2nd balloting,
perhaps by Approval. This woulpoint to a particular 1 winner,
if that's desired. But th2nd balloting isn't essential. The
collecting & reporting of rankings is sufficient.

So then, shouldn't we vote now?

My ranking:

1. plain Condorcet
2. Smith//Condorcet
3. Approval
4. Saumur's circular tie solution by lot

***

For the "disapproval-count" options, I vote for
the inclusion of "Status Quo" as one of the alternatives
in any single-winner election. In a candidate election,
Status-Quo would of course just be another way to re-elect
the incumbant.

***

(One, or course, can vote on the methods without voting on the
"disapproval-count" proposals)

***

I vote for sending the initial FAQ to ER, with the 2 corrections that
I sent. Of course if anyone wants to propose modifications, no one
would disagree with dealing with that instead of sending it now.

***

Mike