Single Person Elections 6/27/96

Mike Ossipoff dfb at bbs.cruzio.com
Fri Jun 28 18:43:20 PDT 1996

DEMOREP1 at aol.com writes:

> Single Winner Method with Combined Choices Tie Breaker
> by DEMOREP1 at aol.com
> ----
> Summary Features- majority approval, head to head combinations, limited
> approval tie breaker (using highest majority in combined choice levels).

What criteria does this new method of yours meet? What properties
does it have? Show where its results are better than other proposed
methods.

You're announcing a new method, and it seems a little premature
to already be writing up the legal language. It would make sense
to simply state your proposed choice rule, and then tell why it's
better than the other ones that have been and are being proposed
here.

All the articles & sections make it unnecessarily & tediously
long. Besides, it's far from certain that your legal language
is usable legal language. Some of its meanings are uncertain.
The important thing for legal language is that it's meaning be
entirely precise & unambiguous. If it isn't, then no amount
of sections & articles, numbered & lettered, will make it into
legal language.

I copied your letter because I intended to point out the uncertain
meanings in your language, but, as I said, legal language is very
premature anyway, when a method has just been proposed, and no one
has even said in what way it's supposed to be better than other
methods.

I've commented already on your tendency to propose lots &
lots of methods, and never give reasons for them. Though you
mention majority rule in connection with the disapproval count,
you never answered my statement that Condorcet makes it very
difficult for a majority-rejected candidate to win anyway, due
to its compliance with GMC. As was already pointed out, for instance,
Dole loses & Clinton wins in my 40,25,35 example, when counted
by Condorcet's method.

Anyway, aside from the Disapproval count, you never say anything
about why your latest method is better than others, or what
advantage it has.

Incidentally, counting votes-for, summed over all of a candidate's
pairwise comparisons is Borda's method, a method notorious
for its strategy problems, and for its (perhaps unique) ability
to fail to elect a candidate who is ranked 1st by a majority
of the voters.

Mike

[I haven't added any comments to the letter copied below. I
initially intended to comment on uncertain meanings in the
legal language, but am not going to, since legal language doesn't
matter until the method is chosen as a proposal]