Demorep: Disapproval isn't enough

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Jun 15 23:33:28 PDT 1996

Mike O replied to Demorep:
-snip-
>Also, you mention Condorcet tie-breakers for multi-winner elections.
>What? Except in your letters, I've never heard of circular
>tie-breakers in connection with PR, or other multi-winner elections.
-snip-

I described a Condorcet PR method a couple of months ago.  It's an
iterative method, picking the 1st seat, then the 2nd, etc.  After
picking each seat, it subtracts the ballots which elected that seat
in order to achieve proportionality.  There's some complexity
in the way it subtracts ballots, so see the old message (on 3-22-96
with a subject = "[EM] multiseat pairwise?") if you care about the
details.

Lucien also has written about a *nonproportional* multiwinner
Condorcet.  Lucien's version doesn't subtract the ballots each
iteration.  I hate that idea, since it can totally disenfranchise a
minority the way the old at-large nonproportional systems did.
But that's apparently okay with him, since he doesn't like
proportionality in legislatures.