Single Winner Balloting

donald at mich.com donald at mich.com
Thu Jul 4 11:01:33 PDT 1996

Dear members of the Election Methods List,

          I cast my vote in the Single Winner Balloting for the - -

                I N S T A N T   R U N O F F   M E T H O D

     At this time I would like to ask all members of this list the
following question: Do you believe one hundred percent that Condorcet has
made its case?
If not - then I urge you to also vote for Instant Runoff. With your votes
we can sweep this election. Right now it is a three way tie between Instant
Runoff, Steve and Mike.

     I content that Condorcet has not made the case on why Condorcet is
superior to Instant Runoff. Condorcet requires us to make a giant leap of
faith in order for us to go from Instant Runoff to Condorcet.

     Condorcet is a belief - you must believe - like a cult.

     I have read all information that has been made available on this list
and the CVD web site. The arguments do not compute. Simply put Condorcet
argues that if neither of the two lead candidates has a majority then the
third candidate must be the winner. This poor logic can be found on the CVD
web site under Condorcet's Method via Alternative Methods.

     Sometimes Condorcet alludes to the term True Selection of the People
as if that is its standard - but there is no standard. If there were a
standard we would have the right to ask - Why not use the standard as our
election method and drop both Condorcet and Instant Runoff?

     The bottom line is that Condorcet is using the results of the
Condorcet Method as its standard and proof that Condorcet is the best.
Condorcet position is that the Condorcet method must be the best because it
yields results that look more like Condorcet than anything else. This logic
is similar to saying that a hippopotamus is called a hippopotamus because
it looks more like a hippopotamus than anything else.

     For the sake of making another point let us assume that Condorcet does
yet prove it is the best - like some of you believe. Do you think that the
people are going to buy into the Numerology of Condorcet? I Think Not! That
would be too tough a sell.

     Therefore I urge both sides of this debate to vote for Instant Runoff
and let us get on with Election Reform.

Signed: Donald Eric Davison of The Election Reform Gospel According to New
Democracy at http://www.mich.com/~donald