[EM] Defects in various election systems

Rob Lanphier robla at eskimo.com
Tue Feb 27 10:29:54 PST 1996

On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Matthew Shugart wrote:
> I quite like the idea of having voters select one candidate as first
> choice, then mark "approvals" for as many others as they wish.  I
> especially like it for primaries.

Hmm, it does have a ballot simplicity.  But Condorcet's is far superior
in eliminating strategy.

>  How would the winner be determined,
> though?  And how would it work in delegate allocation in presidential
> primaries?

Got me.  A Condorcet-like calculation could be used (favorite is ranked
#1, approved are tied for #2, the rest unranked), but my feeling is that
as long as we are going to use something Condorcet-like, we might as well
use genuine articles.

Rob Lanphier
robla at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~robla