Lorrie Cranor's Example

Rob Lanphier robla at eskimo.com
Sun Dec 29 18:33:30 PST 1996

On Sun, 29 Dec 1996, New Democracy wrote:
> Below is one example from Lorrie Cranor's paper on the net via Rob L.
>
>     voter 1: a b c d e
>     voter 2: b c e d a
>     voter 3: e a b c d
>     voter 4: a b d e c
>     voter 5: b d c a e
>
> I noticed that two candidates have zero votes in the first set of selections.
>
> My question is: How is this handle when pairing? Do you still include these
> two candidates in all the possible pairs? Would it be possible for a zero
> candidate to maybe win the election in a different Condorcet example?

Yes.  The simple example:

voter 1: b a
voter 2: c a
voter 3: d a

"a" wins all pairwise elections.  However, "a" also seems like the most
reasonable choice in this example.

SHAMELESS PLUG FOR MY SAMPLE PROGRAM:

Plug the data below into my web page at:
http://www.eskimo.com/~robla/politics/condorcet-front.html

It *may* become a bit clearer why "a" wins.

All Candidates As Entered:

1,CandA
2,CandB
3,CandC