Plurality Ordering in Handcount

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Dec 27 11:19:06 PST 1996

Mike O wrote:
>The reason why I'd start a Condorcet handcount by first ordering
>the alternatives according to 1st choice vote is that, though 1st
>choice vote doesn't guarantee anything, it seems that it is a rough,
>easily calculated, guide to estimating popularity.

My guess is that as the number of candidates increases, so will the
benefits of using plurality to sort them.  There probably won't be
more than a few candidates, usually, with more first choice votes
than the winner by Condorcet, so in those cases there would only be
a few-1 unnecessary pairings counted.

The 3-candidate shortcut example "wasted" effort calculating the
A vs. C pairing (the two leaders according to plurality), but that
is, after all, only one wasted pairing.

Perhaps another effective and easily-calculated preliminary sort
would be in order of *last* choices (in ascending order).  A kind
of reverse plurality.