Candidate Vote Transfers

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Dec 23 10:29:12 PST 1996

Demorep wrote:
>For low tech and must vote quick situations, there is the
>possibility of having the candidates make additional choices with
>such votes.
>Example-
>The voters vote
>  A  40
>  B  30
>  C  25
>  D   5
>
>The candidates then vote
>  40 ADC
>  30 BCA
>  etc.

One important change I'd suggest is that the candidates publish
their lists *before* the voters vote.  (Demorep appears to be
suggesting the candidates vote afterward.)

That looks like Donald's "candidate list" system.  In the limited
circumstances Demorep outlined, where the group doesn't have the
means to tally a more complex ballot (or if the voters aren't able
to understand how to rank choices), it's an interesting option.

But if the group is voting on proposals, rather than for officers,
it doesn't seem as attractive.  Whose lists would be used then, the
authors of the proposals?  And what if an author submitted multiple
proposals?