From Steve's Wasted non-rankings

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Thu Dec 5 14:41:35 PST 1996

Steve wrote:>How about an example, Donald, which shows why it's rational for
voters to vote for only one?

Donald wrote-
Sure Steve - how about we use an example YOU put forward awhile back.

                      46 AB
                      20 B
                      34 CB

EVERYBODY - please note that Steve had one bloc of voters not making asecond
selection - that is the bloc that ends up winning this Condorcet election.
This point will not go un-noticed by the voters - they are not stupid.

Now suppose some of the A and B voters also decided not to make a second
selection. B would lose if half of the voters for candidates A and C refused
to make a second selection.
End Donald
-----------
Demorep1 writes (repeating from his Re: [EM] The Hippopotamus Logic (circa
Nov. 7, 1996) (that had the same 46-20-34 example) ---
I again suggest that a majority yes/no vote will obviously defeat minority
candidates.

The minority voters can happily vote their first choices (or other early
choices, if there is more than one minority candidate).

If such minority voters want to influence which of the divided majority
candidates is going to win, then they will make additional choices.

If the majority voters want to influence which of the divided majority
candidates is going to win, then they will make additional choices to
counteract the additional choices of the minority voters.
-----
In the 46-20-34 example above, if only B could get a majority yes vote (as
being tolerable), then B would be elected (without having to do any head to
head comparisons).

See again my Reform texts, V.2 (circa Nov. 7, 1996) for various possible tie
breakers if there are 3 or more majority yes candidates in a circular tie.