[ER] The Davison Run-off

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Dec 27 11:19:09 PST 1996

Marsha Pripstein wrote:
>please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how this could
>work.  IRO does not require that every voter rank every candidate,
>so so might only go 1-2-3, while others would go 1...5, etc.  so
>how do you decide on who gets the most "last place/last selection"
>votes?

Donald's draft version of Davison Runoff splits its "anti-vote" among
the candidates who are equally ranked last.  Any candidates omitted
from the ballot are treated as if they are ranked last.  So it could
work, and perhaps not as poorly as IRO.

It's unclear to me, though, why it would be better than giving each
of the last-ranked a *full* vote against instead of splitting the
vote.

I have additional comments in another EM message.