Allow simultaneous run for multiple offices?

Marcus Ganley m.ganley at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Dec 13 10:06:24 PST 1996

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996 08:55:09 -800 Steve Eppley wrote

> Here's a possible reform I haven't seen considered: let a person
> compete for more than one office at a time.
>
> The point would be to encourage more good candidates to compete for
> higher office, by not forcing potential candidates to choose between
> running for re-election or seeking higher office.
>
> If a lucky candidate wins more than one office, and if the office(s)
> were contested using Condorcet's method, it might not be necessary
> to repeat the lower election(s).  Perhaps the ballots could just be
> re-tallied after eliminating the ascended candidate.
>
> Comments?

If this were the case it would allow the voters to determine the
propriety of the candidates actions.  If voters felt that it was
inappropriate for a candidate to contest more than one election
simultaneously then they could so indicate with their votes.  I
guess its similar to the argument against prohibiting convicted
criminals from contesting election.  It is often suggested that
instead of prohibiting such persons from standing for office,
they should have to declare their convictions to the electorate
and then allow it to determine their worth.
'Marcus Ganley' <mganley at artsnet.auckland.ac.nz>