Steve's 46AB 20B 34(C or D)

donald at mich.com donald at mich.com
Fri Dec 6 01:14:17 PST 1996

Greetings Methods list,

>Donald D wrote:
>>It is improper to add second selections to first selections -

Steve wrote:>Condorcet does not add second selections to first selections.

Donald writes: Condorcet does so - all the time. Case in point - your example.

                                           Selections
                                         One   Two   Three
    46 AB                                46 A  46 B
    20 B      Which can be written as:   20 B
    34 CB                                34 C  34 B

When Condorcet pairs A with B the 34 B from the number two selections is
added to the 20 B in the first selections. That clearly is adding second
selections to first selections.

By the way  - at one time when I insisted that B is only to get the 20 B
from selection One - you asked me what happens to the 34 votes of C if C
cannot be a candidate in this election? I'll answer now - the 34 votes go
to candidate D. Who is D - you may ask. This 34 votes is a bloc that most
likely put candidate C up to run in this election. If candidate C is unable
to run then these voters have the right to put up another candidate -
candidate D. The manupulation of the selections by Condorcet abuses the
voters.

Steve wrote:>
>In a recent message about Perot, Donald referred to the "local
>pairwise guys."  As near as I can tell, that's everyone in EM but
>Donald.  If there's anyone here besides Donald who believes Instant
>Runoff is better than Condorcet's method, please speak up.

Donald writes: If you are correct about Condorcet you do not need others to
hold your hand.

I realize that this Methods List may contain a den of The Pairwise People -
six in number - if we can go by the ones that voted for Condorcet in your
report - but you should not crow about that - compared to the real world
six is less than a "Fart in a Wind Storm".

Donald,