From Steve's Wasted non-rankings

donald at mich.com donald at mich.com
Thu Dec 5 02:24:51 PST 1996

Greetings to Methods list,

Steve wrote:>How about an example, Donald, which shows why it's rational for
voters to vote for only one?

Sure Steve - how about we use an example YOU put forward awhile back.

                      46 AB
                      20 B
                      34 CB

EVERYBODY - please note that Steve had one bloc of voters not making a
second selection - that is the bloc that ends up winning this Condorcet
election. This point will not go un-noticed by the voters - they are not
stupid.

Now suppose some of the A and B voters also decided not to make a second
selection. B would lose if half of the voters for candidates A and C
refused to make a second selection.

The final proof of this debate will be in real elections.

I say the people will not make more than one selection when voting in a
Condorcet election - Steve, and I assume other pairwise people, say that
the people will make more than one selection. This may be settled if and
when we have real Condorcet elections - that is another hurdle Condorcet
has to get over. The chances of Condorcet getting up and running some place
are slim - one of us has more chance of winning the lottery.

Donald,