Robert's Rules?? Hippo Logic.

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Dec 3 12:44:09 PST 1996

Mike O wrote:
-snip-
>I wasn't aware that we'd agreed to abide by Robert's Rules of
>Order. So why are you quoting that authority on how things
>should be done?
-snip-

We never agreed to abide by Robert's Rules, and my inclination would
be to oppose a motion to adopt them.  They demand an overly formal and
stilted mode of expression, and there would be problems of enforcement.

But there's a reason why Robert's Rules includes rules to foster
decorum.  Online groups like EM are probably better served if
members try to avoid comments which are liable to be interpreted as
unnecessarily insulting, even when the author perceives such a
"necessity".

Something important, but which isn't in Robert's Rules, is that
members should refrain from repeating claims which have been
rebutted unless the rebuttal has been rebutted.