STV-MD PR

Marcus Ganley m.ganley at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Aug 19 12:19:24 PDT 1996

Even in Australia, there's a disconnect between population and
voters: children can't vote.

Nor can permanent residents who aren't british subjects who were on
the roll as of 1 July 1984.  However the s24 of the Constitution of the
Commonwealth of Australia requires that the number of seats in the
House of Representatives be determined in accordance with the
population of each state not the number of enrolled voters let alone the
turnout.  Again I think you suggestion merits serious consideration -
I simply think there may be problems that it would take a more
sophisticated mind than mine to fathom.

My comments should in no way be considered as criticism, again I
find you suggestion most interesting and look forward to seeing it
exposed to rigorous debate.