EM maillist configuration problems

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Aug 21 10:56:04 PDT 1996

Until Rob or eskimo.com gets the EM list properly configured for its
new server SmartList, we need to be careful about how our replies are
addressed.  The previous servers automatically inserted a Reply-To
field in the message headers as a clue to our email software what
default address to use when we compose a reply.  At the moment,
though, we're getting messages without a Reply-To field, and it's
quite possible that some of our email programs will default to
sending replies to the original author and not to the entire list.
So keep an eye on how your email software addresses any replies you
compose.

The messages are now displaying in my email folder index as coming
from "election-methods-list" instead of from the actual author, since
SmartList works by "forwarding".  This may be the fault of my email
software (Pegasus), but if so there's nothing I can do about it.
I'd much rather see the author's name/address in my index, so I hope
Rob can solve this.  (If there's a document for SmartList list-owners
containing info on what can be configured, maybe I can help.)