Let's Report Vote Results To ER

Mike Ossipoff dfb at bbs.cruzio.com
Wed Aug 14 10:47:35 PDT 1996

Having thoroughly discussed & voted on the sw methods that were proposed,
it would be a shame if we didn't report to ER about it as planned.

We have 2 starting points for that report. I posted here a
draft for that report, and Steve's posting about the results could
be the basis for the vote report also.

My draft report would need the removal of my statement that
MPV is the nearest rival to Smith//Condorcet.

Steve's report would needs the removal of the reference to my
incorrect statement about MPV being the runner-up. And it would
need definitions of all the methods with significant support or
a good showing in our vote: Smith//Condorcet, plain Condorcett,
& MPV. The definitions in my draft report could be used, or
someone could write alternative wordings for the definitions if
they want to. But definitions are already available, in my
draft report.

It doesn't matter which we base the vote report to ER on--
Steve's report to EM, or my draft. But wouldn't you agree that
we should post a vote report to ER? It wouldn't be premature; the
discussion was long & thorough, and we voted, and the results of
the vote were conclusive.

Steve's report has the advantage of listing the pairwise comparisons
of all the alternatives, in a matrix. Maybe the ER members would
appreciate that detailed information, or maybe they'd feel daunted by
it, and feel that we were getting technical with them. So I don't
claim to know which report should be, after small modification,
posted to ER.

What do others think about which report should be modified &
posted to ER? Or does anyone else want to post to EM a draft
for that report?

Mike