Why 1/2 votes aren't needed.

Mike Ossipoff dfb at bbs.cruzio.com
Wed Aug 7 03:13:50 PDT 1996

If you've ranked A & B below some other alternatives, and you've
ranked A & B equal to eachother, then you've done a lot more
than just casting half a vote against A & B. You've cast a whole
vote against each of them, in each of their pairings with the
alternatives which you've ranked higher than A & B.

And if there's a group of people who've ranked A & B below
other alternatives, and ranked A & B equal, doesn't it
seem likely that most members of that group will have ranked
some same alternative(s) over A & B? And, if so, then
A & B are going to be more beaten by those alternatives
ranked over them both than they could by by the half-votes
anyway.

So the half-votes aren't needed.

***

To answer Tobin's statements, I might find & re-post, or
just re-write, my postings showing how Falsified Condorcet
violates majority rule & retains the LO2E problem. But, as
I said, my previous postings of those things should be considered
sufficient, and any claims that Falsified Condorcet hasn't
been shown to violate LO2E or majority rule criteria have
been answered by those previously posted postings of mine.

I'll try to re-post those postings withing a week or 2, but
I emphasize that it isn't necessary to do so, since those
postings answered those statements the 1st time I posted them.

***

Mike