[EM] Re: parties working to throw out top-two primary in Washington State

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Apr 27 21:19:48 PDT 2005

Araucaria Araucana araucaria.araucana-at-gmail.com |EMlist| wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2005 at 13:27 UTC-0700, Russ Paielli wrote:
>
>>So now the parties will need to have their own "private
>>pre-primaries" before the official so-called "primary." And the
>>general election will almost surely exclude minor parties.
>>
>>Or will the "we'll-tell-you-how-to-run-your-party" Nazis prohibit
>>the pre-primaries? Think about the implications of that, folks.
>

> The parties are forcing the issue.  They want a party-list primary.
> Look into the context here
>
>   - Until last year, WA had a blanket primary.  Anybody could vote for
>     any single candidate in the primary.

I don't blame the parties for not wanting a blanket primary. My
understanding of a blanket primary is that any voter can vote for any
candidate of any party for any race. That's a terrible idea. If one
party has a non-competitive race due to an unopposed or weakly opposed
incumbent, voters of that party will be free to attempt to sabotage or
co-opt the other party's primary.

By "sabotage," I mean vote for a fringe candidate that has little chance
in the general election (e.g., Republicans voting for Jesse Jackson in
the Democratic primary). By "co-opt," I mean vote for their own idea of
who should represent the party (as when Democrats crossed over and voted
for John McCain in the 2000 Republican primary).

For clear examples of how a blanket primary can be grossly unfair,
imagine that one was in effect during the 1984 election. Reagan ran
unopposed in the Republican primary if I recall correctly (or had no
significant competition anyway). Imagine what fun the Republicans could
have had with the Democratic primary (perhaps nominating Jesse Jackson).
Ditto for the Democrats in 1996, when Clinton ran unopposed (perhaps
nominating Pat Buchanan). Can you imagine the groundswell of outrage
over something like that?

>   - The parties fought this on constitutional (membership) grounds.
>     They lobbied hard and got a party-list primary.

And well they should have fought it. The government has no business
telling parties how to run their primaries. If a party is not allowed to
decide for itself who its candidate will be, then what is the point of
even having a party?

>   - Last September's primary was a party-list ballot.  You could vote
>     for either Dem/Rep/Lib candidates plus non-partisan.

I take this to mean it was an "open" primary: any voter can show up and
request a ballot for any party but can then only vote for candidates of
that party for partisan offices. That's a step better than a blanket
primary, but it still amounts to telling the parties how to run their
primaries.

> Primaries are held at the voters' expense for benefit of the parties.
> There is nothing wrong with the parties using a caucus instead.

The issue is not who pays for the primaries. Yes, in principle the
parties should pay for their own primaries, but they should also be
allowed to run them however they see fit. I'm sure the Democrats and
Republicans would gladly pay for their own primaries in return for
freedom in managing them. Such an arrangement would probably hurt the
minor parties more than the majors, however, since they don't have as
much money.

--Russ