[EM] A question in classroom creation

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Sat Apr 16 19:52:51 PDT 2005

Proposal 2: Same as proposal 1, but with the following teacher-assignment
method built in:
	In addition to rating other children from -3 to 3, children also rate
each teacher from -3 to 3. (The teachers do not rate the children, and
hence utility scores for teachers are not calculated.)
	The utility for each child in each example is calculated as a combination
of their "teacher utility" (tu) and their "classmate utility" (cu). It is
possible to give different weights to teacher and classmate utilities.
E.g., a student's overall utility might be calculated via .5tu*.5cu, or
.4tu*.6cu. You could call these fractions the "teacher fraction" (tf) and
the "classmate fraction" cf. tf and cf should add up to 1 for all
children.
	It might be possible to allow children to choose their cf and tf,
provided that they sum to 1. Thus, if children were not very concerned
about what teacher they got, but they were very concerned about being in
class with their friends, they might choose e.g. cf=.9, tf=.1.

Commentary:
	I think that Paul is right about the number of possible arrangements
given 100 children and 4 classes, which means that I am most likely wrong.
My second guess at the magic number is (100!)/((25!)^4)... is that
correct, Paul? I obviously need to brush up on my probability and
statistics. Any idea what is the order of magnitude for (100!)/((25!)^4)?
	I wonder whether it makes sense to maximize the children's' ratings in
scale, e.g. to automatically turn a rating set of (-1, 0, 2, 3) into (-3,
-1.5, 1.5, 3).

- James Green-Armytage