[EM] Condorcet for public proposals - IMV

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Fri Jan 30 12:10:13 PST 2004

Here are some suggestions (really, only two suggestions, but one of them
pops up in a few places):

>  In the unlikely event of a tie (where no candidate wins all their
> matches) the tied candidate with the fewest votes against them wins.

I think calling this situation a "tie" only generates confusion and makes
the method seem weak.  Just saying "In the unlikely event where no
candidate wins all their matches..." seems fine.

>Instant Matchup Voting
>The formal procedure for IMV has five standard phases, plus three
>tiebreaking phases:

In keeping with my suggestion to avoid referring to cyclic ambiguities as
ties... "five standard phases, and three more phases in certain rare cases"

>3. Pairwise Matrix
>The results from all the ballots is summed up in what is called a
>'pairwise matrix', where the rows indicate votes -for- a candidate, and
>the columns indicate votes -against- a candidate.

I think the pairwise matrix step you show should be moved entirely to the
"notes" section.  In the step before, you showed how to break a vote down
into its matchups.  In the step after, you show what to do with the vote
totals.  All that the pairwise matrix is, is a way to display results.  It
confuses the casual viewer and takes them away from the general flow of how
Condorcet works (which you did a great job describing up to that part, by
the way).  If you leave this in the body, you'll lose a lot of people who
were following you just fine up to there.

>6. First-round ties

I'd call this, "procedure when no majority winner exists" or somesuch.

>8. Second-round ties
>If two or more candidates have the least number of people voting against
>them (within statistical uncertainties[6]), these then form a second-round
>tie. If there is no alternative mechanism available[7], the winner is
>picked at random from within the second-round tie.

I would just call this "ties" as oppose to second-round ties.  This is (in
the context of plain Condorcet) an actual tie, as oppose to what we were
looking at before.