[EM] Condorcet for public proposals - Tournament

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Jan 27 22:38:12 PST 2004

Ernest,

 --- Ernest Prabhakar <drernie at mac.com> a écrit :
> > BTW:  Debatable whether voters should be permitted to rank candidates
> > as equal.
>
> Is there any good reason not to?  Implicit equal ranking certainly
> makes it clearer about how unlisted candidates are counted.   Any if at
> all possible, it seems good to give people the option of equality
> rather than forcing a random choice.    Has anyone presented a clear
> argument for or against equal ranking?

Maybe it's easier to tamper with ballots if more than one candidate can
be given the same rank?  That's all I can think of.

> >   If so then, for each pair of equal candidates, count 1/2 win for
> > each (thus if two voters rank A=B=C then A>B, B>A, A>C, C>A, B>C, and
> > C>B each get credited one full win).
>
> That doesn't make any sense to me.   If two candidates are ranked, I
> think that neither should get the win -- at least if we're doing
> winning votes (wv)

Giving half-votes is the Margins (and Symmetric-Completion) interpretation.
I suggest the same method be used for both expressed and truncated equal
rankings.  I can't think why there should be a difference in treatment.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr