[EM] Bill Lewis, never re-district

Anthony Duff anthony_duff at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 27 08:33:03 PST 2004

 --- Bill Lewis Clark <wclark at xoom.org> wrote:

> I'm not into proportional representation.  I prefer my
> representatives to
> be tied to geography, not ideology.  Geography is concrete, and
> ideology
> is too abstract.  Call me old-fashioned.
>
> I'm also against re-districting.  Ever.  If people have a problem
> with the
> fact that depopulated regions have greater per-capita
> representation than
> popular ones, they should move.

How much thought have you put into that?

Should north america still be represented by 18th century British
districts?  Or does war allow for redistricting?

Should the entire US be governed by representatives of the eastern
states?

Perhaps you mean to allow for new districts to be created where none
existed previously?

Should districts be assigned strictily according to area, or perhaps
according to the resources of the land?  but what happens when
resource use changes?

Perhaps you mean that districts should be assigned according
geographical features, and then to retain fairness, the
representative(s) of that district have their votes weighted
according to what they represent?  Would you weight the votes
according to represented population, of perhaps to the economic power
of your district.

Anthony