[EM] To Bill Lewis Clark re: stepping-stone

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Jan 26 19:32:45 PST 2004

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Dave Ketchum wrote:

> IRV is not as similar to runoff as some claim - at runoff time I know the
> result of the original vote; with IRV I must do all of my ranking at one time.

For sincere voters, i.e. voters bound and determined to vote their
favorite among the uneliminated candidates at every stage no matter the
consequences ... for these dyed-in-the-wool sincere voters the two methods
are essentially equivalent, except for events that might change opinions
about favorites between trips to the polls.