[EM] To Bill Lewis Clark re: stepping-stone

Bill Lewis Clark wclark at xoom.org
Mon Jan 26 12:55:09 PST 2004

James Gilmour wrote:

> What definition are we using for "perform worse"?

I mainly had in mind situations where Plurality and Condorcet agree, and
IRV disagrees.  Suitable examples have been provided, and Adam Tarr has
provided a rough general analysis of when they're likely to occur.

> If overall proportionality is part of your criterion, you should
> dump both Plurality and IRV (and Condorcet).

I'm not into proportional representation.  I prefer my representatives to
be tied to geography, not ideology.  Geography is concrete, and ideology
is too abstract.  Call me old-fashioned.

I'm also against re-districting.  Ever.  If people have a problem with the
fact that depopulated regions have greater per-capita representation than
popular ones, they should move.

-Bill Clark

--
Dennis Kucinich for President in 2004