[EM] Your Vote Counts! (silly voting methods)

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Fri Jan 23 20:02:03 PST 2004

I favor version P.

 --- Jan Kok <kok at surfbest.net> a écrit :
> The reason that the YVC methods are silly is that you can affect the
> outcome of the election, but (if there are a significant number of
> voters) you have no way of knowing how to vote or not-vote so as to
> achieve your desired outcome.

I suggest that a vote is "counted" if the voter doesn't wish he had
voted some other way.

In a Plurality election, the votes for a spoiler candidate are not
counted.

In an IRV election:

8 A>B
5 B>A
7 C>B

A wins.  The C>B votes are not counted.

Approval election:

55 AB (sincere preference A>B)
45 B

B wins.  Some portion of the 55 votes are not counted.  (That seems
intuitively wrong, but I'm not sure why.)

Schulze or RP election:

40 A>B>C
35 B>C>A
25 C>A>B

A wins.  The 35 votes are not counted.

By this definition, no method will be perfect, of course.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr