[EM] Districting Quests: Quixotic vs Practical

Ernest Prabhakar drernie at mac.com
Thu Jan 22 18:33:01 PST 2004

Hi Joe,

On Jan 21, 2004, at 7:05 PM, Joe Weinstein wrote:
> In my opinion, this absolutist goal is anyhow overly ambitious, and is
> not required for a practical acceptable process of districting.  To my
> thinking, Altman’s extended argument against HIS picture of ‘automated
> districting’ just beats a long-dead horse.  Whether or not districting
> is ‘automated’, we never need nor expect to get a provably optimal
> plan, nor even a provably near-optimal plan, in an absolute sense,
> i.e. considering ALL possible plans.
>
> Instead all we really need is RELATIVE optimality:  a districting
> process which is open to submission of sufficiently many - but not
> impossibly many - independently crafted well-defined plans, among
> which the finally chosen plan P1 must be provably optimal or
> near-optimal.

I agree with you that absolute optimality is silly.  The only real
important question in my perspective is whether we can define an
objective 'figure of merit' Q, such a plan with a large Q is always
better than one with a smaller Q.  If we can do that, then there's
numerous techniques for easily maximizing Q (I use simulated annealing
in mine). Of course, those are local maxima, since it is not possible
in general to prove a global maxima (as Altmans rightly, if
irrelevantly, points  out). However, in most cases it also should be
trivial to calculate Q for each of them, no matter how many different
submissions are being evaluated.

-- Ernie P.