[EM] To Bill Lewis Clark, re: Approval, CR, & IRV

Dgamble997 at aol.com Dgamble997 at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 13:11:01 PST 2004

Bill you wrote in part:

>> To gloss over lots of details it is generally presumed that voters
>> behave rationally and vote strategically to maximise the utility of
>> their outcome in an election.

>I think that presumption is almost undoubtedly false, in the general case.
>I suspect it's based on some misleading observations:

I'd agree almost entirely with the points you've made about strategic voting
and the likelihood that people will use strategic voting. Most people on the
EM list, I think, will disagree with you (particularly Approval supporters).
This is because Approval starts to fail badly as a method when people stop using
strategy and start approving all the candidates they like.

David Gamble