[EM] Cardinal Ratings vs. Approval Voting (vs. IRV)

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sun Jan 18 03:30:02 PST 2004

Bill Lewis Clark wrote:

> I want to call into question the claim that Cardinal Ratings (CR) is
> strategically equivalent to Approval Voting (AV.)  In particular,
> I'd like to question this claim in light of some of the AV vs. IRV
> points raised on the Fairvote website (among other places.)
>
> >From http://www.fairvote.org/irv/approval.htm :
>
> (Claim 1:)
> * Approval voting does not solve the spoiler problem. Voting for
> your second choice candidate can in some cases lead to the defeat of
> your favorite candidate.

But only if your second choice candidate actually wins.  And this can
only happen if the two candidates both manage to beat all others.

Sincerely ranking your top two choices in IRV can sometimes lead to the
defeat of _both_ your first and second choices.  And judging from
Merrill's computer models, this is at least as common with IRV as the
situation you mention under approval.

Which is worse, electing your second choice, or your last choice?

> (This problem is less severe than in
> plurality voting, but instant runoff voting does a better job of
> addressing the spoiler problem.)  Campaigns would urge – quietly at
> least – their supports to "bullet" vote for their candidate only,
> and approval voting would thus tend to revert back to plurality
> voting.  Approval voting is unlikely to work in practice as it is
> supposed to work in theory.

Actually I would expect campaigns to publicly urge supporters to bullet
vote.  I just don't expect voters to do as they're told.

> Suppose voter preferences are as follows:
>
> A>B>C, approve AB -- 30%
> A>B>C, approve A  -- 21%
> C>B>A, approve BC -- 25%
> C>B>A, approve C  -- 24%
>
> Under AV, B wins the election with 55% approval (compared to 51% for
> A and 49% for C.)  However, look how things change if a Cardinal
> Ratings system is used (with a 0-2 scale.)
>
> A>B>C, A:2, B:1, C:0 -- 30%
> A>B>C, A:2, B:0, C:0 -- 21%
> C>B>A, A:0, B:1, C:2 -- 25%
> C>B>A, A:0, B:0, C:2 -- 24%
>
> Here, A wins with an average rating of 1.02 (compared to 0.55 for B,
> and 0.98 for C.)

If these are the same voters, then the top example is not a reasonable
depiction of approval voting strategy (assuming the Cardinal Ratings
example shows sincere ratings).  Since the first and third groups of
voters rate B exactly midway between the other two, it's not reasonable
to assume they all approve B.  More likely, half of each group view B as
slightly better-than-average, the other half slightly worse.  Or else
they choose randomly, with the same effect.

So a more likely approval outcome would be:
A  -- 15%
AB -- 15%
A  -- 21%
C  -- 12.5%
CB -- 12.5%
C  -- 24%
A = 51%
B = 27.5%
C = 49%

With Cardinal ratings, if voters in the first and third groups actually
rate B as either slightly above or below 1.0, then optimal strategy for
these voters would be to rate all candidates either 2 or 0, as follows: