[EM] Re: Election redistricting

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Jan 15 11:12:01 PST 2004

Two or three years ago (if my memory serves me correctly) Joe Weinstein
suggested that anybody be allowed to submit a proposal and that those
proposals then be evaluated on the basis of objective criteria.

Judges could submit their proposals, bureaucrats theirs, politicians
theirs, computer scientists theirs, particle physicists theirs, etc.

Any well defined partition of the voters into the specified number of
districts would be considered a proposal.

If any district (of a proposal) had two more voters than another district
of the same proposal, then that proposal would be eliminated.

Of the remaining proposals the winner would be the one whose districts
were closest to optimal by some objective measure of over-all compactness.

I propose this measure of over-all compactness:

  Look at the average distance between voter addresses within districts.
     (The smaller the better.)

Distance should be measured along actual routes of travel, not as the crow
flies.

Forest