[EM] Re: Automated districting

Ernie Prabhakar drernie at mac.com
Sat Jan 10 13:26:02 PST 2004

Hi Matt,

On Jan 10, 2004, at 10:37 AM, matt at tidalwave.net wrote:
> For this to be a generally applicable approach I think we need a
> reasonably objective procedure for dividing large municipalities into
> smaller units and some reasonably objective procedure for identifying
> when a municipality should be divided into smaller units.

So, why not always choose the generic unit "census tracts"?   Does
anyone know exactly how those are defined?  They should at any rate be
small enough to be immune from gerrymandering, but easier to manage
than block-level data (which I don't think is always well-defined,
anyway).

> That makes more sense than .... road traffic and bandwith, which are
> poor measures of community and are manipulable

Um, I don't see either of those claims as true, so I wonder if we're
talking about the same thing.

> poor measures of community
My idea of "community" is that, all else being equal, we should group
people into the same district who have strong interactions with each
other.   In terms of which neighbors I hang out with, where I shop, and
the relation between home and work, the connections are very strongly
correlated with the road network.   I talk more with neighbors on my
street than those in a different subdivision, even if that subdivision
is physically closer but doesn't have a connecting road.   I also have
more connection with the stores 20 miles down the Interstate than those
5 miles away down a country road.

Could you elaborate on why you don't think road traffic is a good
measure of community?  For what definition of community?

> are manipulable
I don't see how road traffic is "manipulable" in a political sense.
First of all, most traffic decisions are made locally, but the
calculations are done globally.   It would be extremely difficult to
predict how a given road-building project would affect congressional
groupings.   Plus, road-building issues are *extremely* democratic at
the local level; neighbordhood groups get extremely worked up about
them, and if there was even a hint that the road was being built for
political purposes rather than serving the community it would blow up
in their face.

The only area where I could imagine politics playing a role is in
Highways, since those are influenced at the state level.    However, in
most areas the highway pattern is already well-established, and new
construction is a relatively small fraction of the total traffic.   New
highways are also highly visible and contentious issues; people may not
notice when districts are redrawn, but they certainly notice when a
highway is built (or not built) near them.    Large-scale manipulation
-- such as building a highway where one isn't needed -- would be very
difficult to accomplish.   Small scale deviations are indeed possible,
but unlikely to affect the actual results.

In fact, given that edge-weighting algorithms would generally be N!
factorial, then with small enough districts there is no computationally
tractable deterministic solution.   That means there is no reliable way
to predict how a new road would actually affect the relevant districts.
   Don't forget, gerrymandering relies on precise control over the edges
and contours of a district.  As long as districts are always
recalculated from scratch every time, rather than just tweaked based on
new data, it shouldn't be possible to game the system with any degree
of certainty.

Don't forget - while we may worry about things like minimize variance,
I suspect most people would want districts that 'look like how I view
my community', so we need to take that into account.   I believe we
should pick the algorithm most likely to win public acceptance, as long
as it makes gerrymandering infeasible in practice.

-- Ernie P.