[EM] Re: Automated districting

Toplak Jurij jure.toplak at uni-mb.si
Thu Jan 8 19:59:02 PST 2004

There is no way you can draw rectangles or hexagons or any other shape with
automated districting procedure. Remember, the districts have to have equal
population. You must have some certain units when you draw districts, such
as street blocks or even buildings. Whatever you use, you can never draw
rectangles or hexagons and have equal population in them. Try it and you
will see it easily that it is not possible.
Several authors have produced automated districting procedures or discuss
these procedures in detail(see the literature below). Many of these
procedures do work, but none of them is based on certain type of shape (such
as rectangle).
One of these automated districting models uses established political units
(such as municipalities) as districting units and then arranges them in the
districts according to the formula, under which the difference in population
is the smallest possible.
Lets say we have 50 municipalities in a state and we have to draw 4
districts. Matemathically there are many ways we can arrange these 50
municipalities in 4 districts, but there is only one under which the
population variance is smallest possible.
This procedure does not involve decisions of human factor, except for the
decision on the procedure used and political units used. However, the
decision on which procedure should be used will always be taken by humans.
It could be said that it was humans who drew the borders of the
municipalities (or other political units used), but these borders have
usually been drawn long ago and without intent of gerrymandering.

Some literature on automated districting (mostly proposed models):
The first paper on automated redistricting is Vickrey's short, but original
and often cited 1961 article "On The Prevention Of Gerrymandering" (sorry,
at the moment I dont know exactly where it was published)
Browdy, Michelle H., Simulated Annealing: An Improved Computer Model for
Political Redistricting, Yale Law & Policy Review 8, 163-179, 1990
Liittschwager, John M., The Iowa Redistricting System, in Democratic
Representation and Apportionment: Quantitative Methods, Measures, and
Criteria, New York: Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 221-234,
1973
And a case against automated districting:
Altman, Micah, Is Automation the Answer? The Computational Complexity of
Automated Redistricting, Rutgers Computer and Technology Law Journal 23 (1),
81-142

Few years ago I wrote, but never published a thesis on a subject of automated districting and if someone is interested, let me know.

J.